These Vegan Chocolate Orange Sugar Cookies are perfect for your next Halloween or Christmas party. These cut out cookies are easy to make and are just waiting for your beautiful decorations.
I used a vegan Royal Icing made from aquafaba to decorate these Halloween cookies. It is easy to make and the icing sets in about one hour. Orange and Chocolate is one of my favourite flavour combination.
Rolling out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper is a great way for getting the right thickness without adding more flour and keeping the nice brown chocolate colour.
- 100g sugar
- 115g vegan butter, soft
- 1 Orange, zest and juice
- ½ teaspoon flaxseed meal
- 1½ tablespoons water
- 165g flour
- 25g cacao powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- For the vegan Royal Icing
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1¾ - 2 cups icing sugar
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing the flaxseed meal with water, set aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix the soft butter with the sugar and zest of one orange with a wooden spoon.
- In a another bowl, combine flour, cacao powder and baking powder.
- Add the flax egg to the butter and gradually add the flour mix and 1 - 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice. The cookie dough should be soft and and easy form into a ball without sticking to your hands. Either add more flour or orange juice.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- In the meantime prepare the royal icing by beating the aquafaba with a hand mixer until you have stiff peaks, add gradually the icing sugar, until you have thick and glossy peaks. Cover and store in fridge until the cookies are ready.
- Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface or between two sheets of parchment paper to ¼″ thickness and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and transfer to baking sheets.
- Place the cookies in the fridge for another 10 minutes.
- Bake one sheet at a time on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, use the royal icing to decorate.
- It takes about 1 hour for the royal icing to set.
Make some great treats with the left over aquafaba, try my Vegan Meringue Halloween Ghosts or the delicious Chocolate Mousse.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I HOPE YOU LOVE IT.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.