There is nothing like the smell of fresh (vegan) cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. These vegan cinnamon rolls have a flaky outside with a fluffy, buttery centre and a rich cinnamon sugar flavour.
They taste best fresh from to oven and drizzled with some vanilla icing. These rolls are perfect for a cozy Sunday morning breakfast or I love them as a dessert.
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Serves: 10 rolls
For the dough:
- 1 packet instant (or rapid rise) yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp of vegan butter
- 1 tbsp of organic white sugar (vegan)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups (408 g) unbleached all purpose flour
For the cinnamon butter:
- 3 tbsp of vegan butter, soft
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon (or more if you like a stronger cinnamon flavour)
- 1/4 cup organic white sugar (vegan)
- 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract
plus 2 tbsp of vegan butter (melted) for brushing the cinnamon rolls before baking.
For the icing:
- 1 cup (112 g) organic powdered sugar (vegan)
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30 ml) almond milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- In a small sauce pan, heat the almond milk and 3 tbsp vegan butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool. The mix should be warm, but not too hot.
- Place the yeast into a large mixing bowl. Add the warm milk/butter mix and stir well.
- Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 tbsp of sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Place the ball into an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle, then spread the cinnamon butter over it.
- Beginning with a long side, roll up the dough tightly.
- Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 4 – 5 cm rolls (you should have 10 rolls) and place them in a well-buttered 8×8 inch square pan. Brush with remaining 2 tbsp vegan butter (melted) and cover with plastic wrap.
- Set in a warm place to let rise again while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
- Mix all the icing ingredients and drizzle over the warm cinnamon rolls.
Note: Recipe adapted from Minimalistbaker.