Using the liquid of a can of chickpeas sounds weird, that’s probably the reason, why I haven’t tried Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse recipes until now.
Whenever I open a can of chickpeas, I want to drain & wash them a soon as possible, so I can get ride of the smell. I was very hesitant, to use this liquid to create this delicious Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse dessert.
Check the label of the chickpeas, you don’t want to use salted chickpeas, I used PC Blue Menu Chickpeas which have no salt added, making them an easy solution for controlling sodium intake.
I find the mousse sweet enough just by using the vegan chocolate chips from Enjoy Life Foods. If you are using dark chocolate instead, you probably need to add the two teaspoons of sugar.
So with basically 3 ingredients you can create this delicious aquafaba chocolate mousse. It is rich in flavour, yet light as air.
- 120g semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup liquid from a can of chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional) see note
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh raspberries & mint leaves, to serve
- Melt the chocolate chips over a double boiler, add the vanilla extract and stir until melted and smooth. Lift the bowl off the pot and allow chocolate to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat chickpea liquid to meringue consistency, (it can take up to 5 minutes). Beat in sugar (if using) and set aside.
- Fold about ⅓ of the meringue into the melted chocolate, then gently fold in the remaining meringue. Divide between 2 -3 ramekins and chill for at least 30 minutes to firm a little.
- Serve with fresh raspberries & mint.
Did you make this recipe? I hope you love it.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.