These Vanillekipferl – Vanilla Almond Christmas Cookies are still one of my favourite Christmas cookies. It’s such a simple recipe with only a few ingredients, but it is the unique combination of vanilla and nuts—and the fact that they melt in your mouth, which makes these Vanillakipferl so irresistible.
Since this dough does not need any eggs, just substitute the butter with vegan butter and you have a delicious vegan Christmas treat.
For a nice layer of sugar, mix icing sugar with vanilla sugar and sieve it over the hot cookies. The cookies are very delicate and if you decide to roll them in the sugar, the kipferl might break when turning.
- 280g flour
- 80g icing sugar
- 10g vanilla sugar
- 200g very cold vegan butter
- 100g almond meal
- dash of salt
- For dusting
- 20g vanilla sugar
- 50g icing sugar
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients and knead into a crumbly dough.
- Cool the dough wrapped in cling film for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Divide the dough into several portions (keep the dough in the fridge and only work with small portions) and form into rolls. Cut small slices, roll between hands and form crescents. Place the kipferl far enough on a sheet of baking paper (if the dough is too soft, rest the kipferl in the fridge for 15 minutes before baking).
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes - don't over bake them, they should be light golden in colour, sprinkle with vanilla icing sugar and then allow to cool.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I HOPE YOU LOVE IT.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.