These vegan orange butter cookies are a delicate shortbread type cookie covered in orange icing. Adapted from the famous Swiss Christmas cookie Plantaherzli.
I am using vegan butter and aquafaba for this vegan version of this beloved Christmas recipe. This is a very easy recipe, but it is crucial to chill the dough before rolling it out and chill the cut out cookies again for another 15 minutes before baking.
For the icing, mix the fresh orange juice and icing sugar until you have a thick, glossy icing. You want the icing just to set on top of the cookies and not running down the sides.
- 125 g vegan butter
- 80 g sugar
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1 orange, zest and 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 270 g all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- For the icing:
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a large bowl - beat the vegan butter with the sugar until fluffy using an electric hand mixer.
- Add aquafaba and continue to beat for another minute before adding the orange zest and 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder before adding to the mix.
- Knead to a soft dough; wrap the dough in cling film and rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 390F (200C).
- Roll dough on parchment paper or lightly floured surface until 4mm thin (0.15 inch). Cut out your favourites cookie motive and place them on a parchment paper lined baking tray. Place the cookies before baking in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Bake for cookies for about 10 minutes before transfer them on a cooling rack.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, brush the orange icing carefully on the cookies. For the orange icing, simply mix the icing sugar with the orange juice.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I HOPE YOU LOVE IT.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.