As much as I love to cut out cookies and decorate them, sometimes I just want to bake a batch of cookies without the extra work, specially during busy Christmas time. These Cornstarch Snowflake Christmas Cookies are definitely not the prettiest cookies, but so delicious and easy to make, you don’t even need a mixer.
We call them Schneeflöcken in German which means snowflake because they melt in your mouth like a snowflake. I saw similar recipes here in Canada where they were called Canada Cornstarch Shortbread Cookies.
It is a very basic recipe using cornstarch, butter, icing sugar, vanilla sugar and flour. You can use vegan butter instead of regular butter for a vegan version, but because butter is the main flavour component, use a good vegan butter you like.
- 200 g corn starch
- 90 g icing sugar
- 10 g vanilla sugar
- 100 g flour
- 200 g butter ( or vegan butter)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. If the dough is too soft, place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180C).
- Shape the dough into 1" balls. Flatten each ball with a fork.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 12 to 15 minutes until the bottoms are very lightly browned. The cookie itself should stay pale.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool, once cooled dust with icing sugar.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I HOPE YOU LOVE IT.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.