This classic Vegan Coffee and Walnut Cake is filled and topped with a delicious espresso-infused vegan buttercream icing.
To frost the cake, place one layer of the cooled cake on a serving platter or cake stand. Top with half of the buttercream and smooth out to the edges. Place the other sponge on top of it and top with the rest of the buttercream. Decorate with some walnuts and serve at room temperature.
- 250g white flour
- 100g granulated sugar
- 40g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 70g walnut pieces
- 3 tablespoons strong espresso coffee
- ½ cup canola oil
- 80g unsweetened soy yoghurt
- ¾ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- For the buttercream:
- 115g salted vegan butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons strong espresso coffee
- Preheat oven to 355F (180C)
- Grease two 8 inches cake tins and line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in all wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cake tins (the recipe yields for two small sponges, you will not have a lot of batter in each pan which is ok).
- Bake for about 20 - 28 mins, test centre of cake with a cocktail stick or sharp knife – if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- Leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and peel off parchment paper.
- For the buttercream, place the vegan butter in a mixing bowl and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the coffee and the powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To frost, place one layer of the cooled cake on serving platter or cake stand. Top with half of the buttercream and smooth out to the edges. Place the other sponge on top of it and top with the rest of the buttercream.
- Decorate with some walnuts and serve at room temperature.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I HOPE YOU LOVE IT.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.