If you are looking for a refined sugar-free, high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids snack, try these Vegan Date Breakfast Bars.
Loaded with dates, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and oats, these bars are a healthier alternative to store-bought over processed energy bars.
- High in dietary fiber
- High in iron
- Very high in vitamin B6
- High in magnesium
- 250g medjool dates
- ½ orange (zest only)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
- 80g pumpkin seeds
- 50g walnut pieces
- 150g whole flax seeds
- 100g large oats
- 25g chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 355F (180C)
- Line the bottom and sides of a 8-inch square baking tin with parchment paper
- Pit the dates and tear them with our fingers into a medium saucepan, add the orange zest, cinnamon and vanilla. Cover with 325 ml cold water. Bring the mix to a boil and let it cook for about 5 minutes until dates are soft.
- Take from the heat and mash the dates with a folk until you have a creamy consistency. Add the peanut butter and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix all the other dry ingredients.
- Add the mix into the medium saucepan and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Spoon the mix into the prepared tin and spread it evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until firm and golden brown on top and around the edges.
- Leave to cool in the in tin before cutting into pieces.
Inspired by Nigella’s Breakfast Bars.