This Vegan Crème Brûlée recipe is a vegan twist on the classic french dessert. All you need are 7 ingredients for this rich and creamy vegan dessert.
As you may know by now, I love working with silken tofu. Silken tofu is so versatile and the custard-like texture is perfect for a Vegan Crème Brûlée.
This recipe could not be easier, simply blend the silken tofu with the vanilla paste. Then bring the mix together with sugar, cornstarch and soy milk to a boil until the creme thickens. For the nice yellow colour, add a pinch of turmeric.
Just before serving, sprinkle sugar onto the custard, then caramelize the top with a butane torch.
Enjoy the sound of the the lovely crack when your spoon breaks through the top.
- 350g silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 150ml unsweetened soy milk
- 110g granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons salted vegan butter
- pinch of turmeric
- Blend the silken tofu with the vanilla paste until very smooth.
- In a small sauce pan, heat 100 ml of soy milk and sugar until sugar has dissolved.
- Mix corn starch with the rest of the soy milk and whisk until well combined.
- Add the silken tofu mix to the milk, whisk until well combined, then add the corn flour milk mix.
- Cook over medium low heat, whisking constantly to prevent lumps, until the creme thickens.
- Take off from heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons of salted vegan butter.
- Divide evenly into 2 - 3 ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and cool down at room temperature. Then store the ramekins for 4 hours or longer in the fridge.
- Just before serving, take the ramekins out of the fridge. Sprinkle an even layer of granulated sugar on top of a serving and torch it until the sugar starts to melt and a deep golden brown coating forms.
- Rest for a few minutes, decorate with some raspberries and then serve immediately.