Snickerdoodle Cookies are delicious sugar cookies rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking. Snickerdoodle Cookies are a traditional Christmas Cookie here in North America.
The outside is crisp with a soft and chewy interior. Simple, but very tasty.
This is another recipe ideal for baking with children. Shaping the dough into balls and rolling them in the cinnamon sugar, will be the perfect task for them.
Using the bottom of a glass to gently flatten each cookie before baking will help to have an even bake.
- 180g all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 110g unsalted butter, soft
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- - For the coating:
- 40g granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a big bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy using a hand mixer (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add the egg, beating until well combined.
- Beat in the vanilla paste. Add the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth dough. If the dough is too soft, cover and refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 400F (190C) and place rack in the centre of the oven. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into 2.5 cm round balls.
- Coating: In a large bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 4 cm apart. Using the bottom of a glass to gently flatten each cookie before baking will help to have an even bake.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 - 10 minutes, or until they are light golden brown and firm around the edges and the centre of the cookies will still be a little soft.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.