This vegan Almond Cinnamon Yeast Strudel is a famous swiss bake. A delicious flaky strudel, filled with a rich buttery almond mixture and topped with a tangy lemon icing.
This recipe starts with a basic vegan strudel dough; for the filling I like to use almonds, but you could also use hazelnuts or any other fillings you like.
This Almond Cinnamon Yeast Strudel is a free-form bake, so no bakings pans required. If you rather like a bread style strudel, you could also use a loaf pan. The lemon icing is optional, but I like the tangy lemon icing in contrast to the sweet almond filling.
- 400g all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pack fast acting yeast
- 200ml unsweetened soy milk
- 80g vegan margarine
- 150g ground almonds
- 80g granulated sugar
- 80g vegan margarine
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- In a small saucepan, heat the soy milk and vegan butter until melted.
- Activate the yeast by mixing warm (not hot) soy milk and the yeast. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar und salt. Add the yeast mix and combine with a wooden spoon. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Put the kneaded dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film until double it size.
- For the filling: Mix the vegan butter, ground almonds, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, sugar, soy milk and almond extract until well combined.
- Once the dough is ready, roll out the dough into a rectangle (about 35 x 45 cm). Evenly spread the filling leaving a margin of about 3 cm.
- Start at the left-hand corner of the edge closest to you. Working from left to right, tug the lip of the dough up and over the filling, keeping it tight. Roll up the dough, tightening the log as you go.
- When you reach the far edge of the dough, moisten the bare edge with water and pinch to seal the seam. Place the dough seam facing down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush the top with some melted vegan butter or soy milk.
- Preheat the oven to 355F (180C) and bake the strudel for about 45 mins. Cool down completely on a wire wrack before icing the strudel. For the icing mix some fresh lemon juice and icing sugar until you have the desired consistency.
Did you make this recipe? I hope you love it.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.