These Warm Chocolate Cakes for Two are perfect for Valentine’s Day or on any other occasions, when you don’t feel like baking a whole cake.
This cake is best served warm straight out of the oven, you can prepare the batter up to 4 hours in advance and keep it in the fridge before baking the mini cakes. The recipe only calls for a few basic ingredients and it is easy to remember. Next to the eggs and coffee you will need equal amounts of chocolate, sugar, butter and flour.
The consistency of the cake is more like a fudgy brownie, therefore it is not a molten lava cake.
If you enjoy baking, try my other recipes for two.
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 50g sugar
- dash of salt
- 50g semi sweet chocolate
- 50g butter
- 1 teaspoon strong coffee
- 50g flour
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180C / 355F.
- Beat egg, egg yolk, sugar and salt in a bowl with a hand mixer until thick and pale (about 3 minutes).
- Using a double boiler, melt the semi sweet chocolate with the butter until smooth. Stir in the espresso.
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and gently mix with a spatula.
- Fold in the flour and fill the two prepared ramekins (buttered and dusted with some sugar).
- Place ramekins on a tray and bake for approx. 20 minutes in the middle of the 180C (355F) degree oven.
- Remove from oven, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.