Easy and incredibly moist and delicious Vegan Spiced Mini Carrot Cake with an amazing sweet & tangy soy yoghurt frosting.
The yoghurt frosting is a lighter alternative to a vegan cream cheese frosting, without loosing the delicious sweet and tangy flavour.
This Vegan Spiced Mini Carrot Cake is another great Valentine’s Day recipe. It can be baked in 40 minutes and is the perfect small sweet treat after a romantic dinner.
I like my carrot cake packed with walnuts and raisins, but these are optional ingredients. If you rather like two single servings, you can also cut each little cake in half (horizontally), spread frosting between the two halfs, add the top and decorate with more frosting.
- 50g white flour
- 40g brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ flax egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon soy milk
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 40g grated carrots
- 20g walnut pieces (optional)
- 20g raisins (optional)
- For the Frosting:
- 1.5 tablespoons vanilla soy yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Prepare ½ flax egg by mixing ½ tablespoon of flax meal with 1.5 tablespoon of cold water. Set aside for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Grease two ramekins with vegan butter or oil and lightly dust them with flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients including the flax egg before adding it to the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots, walnuts & raisins (optional) and mix until combined.
- Evenly distribute batter into the two ramekins.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes for 5 minutes in the ramekins before flipping them out onto a cooling rack. Let them cool completely before frosting.
- To make the yoghurt frosting:
- Place yogurt and vanilla in medium bowl.
- Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar with electric mixer. If it looks too thin, add more icing sugar or put the frosting in the fridge to harden.
- Spread frosting on top of one cake (if you like, cut off the crust to level the cake), add the second mini cake on top of it and spread more frosting. Decorate with more walnuts.