Red Velvet Cake is one of my favourite desserts, so I thought it’s time to try red velvet cupcakes. Browsing the Internet for a delicious recipe, I came across this one particular vegan red velvet cupcakes recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz, which was featured in almost every post I visited.
Since I wanted to cut back on my dairy intake, I was very excited to try her recipe.
And let me tell you, these vegan red velvet cupcakes are a luscious treat. They are super moist, with a hint of chocolate and vanilla, and the vegan cream cheese frosting is just delicious. The taste and texture is very close to a regular red velvet cake.
- 240 ml soy milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 155g all-purpose flour
- 200g organic sugar (vegan)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 80ml canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian red food colouring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- - Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 60g vegan margarine, softened
- 60g vegan cream cheese, softened
- 250 - 300g organic powdered sugar (vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle (about 5 - 10 minutes).
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the oil, food colouring, and vanilla extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and fold to combine, mixing just until large lumps disappear.
- Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds full.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes, but be sure not to overbake.
- When done, let cool for a few minutes then transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- - For the frosting
- Cream together the margarine and vegan cream cheese just until combined.
- Gradually add sugar, about half a cup at a time, until mixed well (I used a hand mixer).
- Add the vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
Recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.