Vegan Lemon Baked Doughnuts are full of delicious lemon flavour. They are fluffy and moist and the flavour is delicious, so fresh and citrusy.
Rub the sugar and zest mixture between your fingers, working the sugar into the zest. You want to release essential oils into the sugar for intense fragrance.
These doughnuts are baked and the covered in a tart lemon glaze, everything can be done in about 40 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 flax egg
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 240g icing sugar
- 60ml soy milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and lemon zest with your fingers, releasing all the oils from the zest. Then add all other dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat and mix until the margarine is just melted. This mixture should be just slightly warm to the touch.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.
- Using a tablespoon or a piping bag, transfer dough into a slightly greased nonstick doughnut pan. Smooth out the top of each dough with your fingers.
- Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a toothpick will come out clean.
- Invert the hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release the doughnuts. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- For the Glaze:
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until the glaze is smooth. Remove from heat and immediately begin dunking the donuts, one by one, into the lemon glaze.
Did you make this recipe? I hope you love it.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.