An Easter favourite, indulge yourself with some lovely, sticky vegan hot cross buns. It’s a simple recipe, but overall it will take some time. These vegan hot cross buns are so delicious, you might never buy the shop bought versions again.
A hot cross bun is a spiced sweet bun made with raisins and in my recipe with orange peel, marked with a cross on the top, and traditionally eaten on Good Friday here in Canada.
Serve these Hot Cross Buns fresh from the oven with some butter and jam. Simplicity at its best.
- 225g all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 30g granulated sugar
- Zest of ½ orange
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 4g fast acting yeast
- 130ml unsweetened soy milk
- 30g vegan butter
- 25g orange peel or mixed peel
- 25g raisins
- For the cross:
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- For the glaze:
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- In a small sauce pan, warm the soy milk with the vegan butter until melted, the milk should be warm (not hot). Place in a big bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Mix and let stand for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In the meantime, mix the flour, sugar, orange zest, salt and spices. Add the flour to the yeast mix.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well until you have a rough dough, then transfer to a clean flour dusted work surface and knead for around 10 minutes, or until soft and springy.
- Return the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place until double the size (about 1 hour).
- Sprinkle the mixed peel and raisins over the dough and knead for another 1 - 2 minutes until the fruits are incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for another hour.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each into balls. Evenly space them out on a lined baking tray.
- Cover again with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for a further 30 - 60 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 380F (190C).
- Place the flour and 2 tablespoons water into a small bowl and mix to a thick paste.
- Use the batter to carefully trace a cross over the top with a piping bag or spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven, until golden brown.
- Gently heat the apricot jam to melt, then sieve to get rid of any chunks.
- While the jam is still warm, brush over the top of the warm buns and leave to cool.
Recipe adapted & veganized from BBC website.