This delicious Vegan Date Caramel Banana Pie is my take on the famous Banoffee Pie. Instead of whipped coconut cream, this pie has a creamy banana tofu cream.
The date caramel is sweet and rich, topped with caramelized bananas for more flavour. The banana tofu cream is creamy, but light enough to complement the rich caramel.
The pie filling is soft and creamy at room temperature which makes it a little bit difficult to cut into nice slices. I recommend keeping the pie in the freezer until you are ready to spread the banana cream over the caramel and then serve immediately.
- For the crust:
- 250g vegan digestive cookies (crumbs)
- 5 tablespoons granola oil (or coconut oil)
- For the caramel:
- 12 Medjool Dates
- 2 tablespoons all natural almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- For the banana layer:
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- For the banana cream
- 1 pack silken tofu
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- For the pie crust:
- Mix digestive cookie crumb and oil until well blended.
- Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8 - 10 minutes. Cool.
- Salted Caramel:
- Let the dates soak for 15 minutes in hot water.
- Drain the soaked dates. Blend all the salted caramel ingredients and soaked dates into a smooth puree.
- Spread on crust and place into freezer for at least two hours. Keep the pie in the freezer until you are ready to serve it with the banana cream layer.
- In the meantime, cut one banana into slices and cover the slices in granulated sugar.
- Using a frying pan, fry the bananas over medium heat until the slices start to caramelize. Set aside to cool down.
- For the banana cream:
- Blend all the ingredients until you have a nice creamy consistency. Cover the cream with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. The cream will set a little bit in the fridge.
- Combine and serve the pie:
- Take the pie out of the freezer, place the caramelized bananas on the the caramel layer and spread the banana cream on top. Decorate with grated chocolate and serve immediately.
Cook Time is including freezing the pie and refrigerate the banana cream