This heavenly spiced vegan apple pie is small, but packed with flavour and ideal for two.
Making a vegan pie crust is very easy and it tastes exactly like the original. I used my original pie crust recipe and just replaced the butter with vegan butter. Placing the vegan butter into the freezer before using, helps creating a flaky crust.
I sometimes use vegan margarine, but it makes the dough very difficult to handle, therefore I would not recommend it, specially not if you are new to baking.
For my apple pies, I love to use Granny Smith apples or Honeycrips, or a combination of both. I usually use more Granny Smith apples because they are on the tarter side.
This small vegan apple pie is
- super flaky
- packed with apples and spices
- ideal for two
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 100 g vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1½ Granny Smith Apple
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- handfull of raisins
- dash of salt
- To make the dough by hand, in a large bowl, stir together the flour and sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter pieces no larger than small peas.
- Add the water and mix with a fork just until the dough pulls together.
- Form dough into a ¾" thick disk. Wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough into a 18cm (7inch) circle. Carefully fit into a 15cm (6inch) pie plate, gently lowering dough into bottom and sides of pie plate without stretching. Refrigerate.
- Now, roll out the top into a 15cm (6inch) circle. Have ready on the side.
- Place lemon juice in a large bowl. Peel, core, and slice apples ⅛ inch thick, transferring them to the bowl as you work. Add granulated sugar, raisins, all the spices and flour; toss to combine.
- Pour the apple filling into the bottom crust, pressing the mixture down firmly to eliminate air gaps. Lay the top crust gently over the apples. Pinch the seams together and cut two slits in the centre of the crust for ventilation. Brush the pie lightly with soy milk and sprinkle extra sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400F, then lower the oven temperature to 350F and continue to bake until golden and bubbling, 20 - 30 minutes more. Cool at least 4 hours before serving.