My Mini Orange Mince Pies are the perfect dessert to finish your Christmas feast.
A mince pie is a sweet pie of British origin, filled with a mixture of dried fruits and spices called “mincemeat”, that is traditionally served during the Christmas season.
The sweet pie crust is flavoured with orange zest, to make it more festive and it goes well with the mincemeat filling.
For my Mini Orange Mince Pies I used ready-made mincemeat which can taste a little stale, therefore I added some grated orange and lemon zest for more flavour and freshness. You could also add fresh apples, orange juice or some brandy to enhance the flavour.
- 175g all purpose flour
- 75g cold butter, cubed
- 25g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 large orange, grated zest only
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- For the filling:
- 280g good-quality ready-made mincemeat
- 1 small orange, grated zest only
- 1 small lemon, grated zest only
- 1 medium egg, beaten (for glaze)
- For the pastry, either pulse the flour and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, or rub the flour and butter together in a large bowl using your fingertips.
- Stir in the icing sugar and orange zest, then stir in the beaten egg and mix until the ingredients just come together as a dough.
- Wrap the dough in greaseproof paper and chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, or until firm.
- Roll the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 2-3mm (I usually like mine a little thicker)
- Stamp 6 rounds from the pastry using a 10 cm pastry cutter (depending on your muffin tin). Reroll any leftover pastry and cut out 6 stars.
- Line each hole of the muffin tin with one of the pastry rounds and prick the base of each with a fork.
- For the filling, mix the mincemeat with the grated zest of the orange and lemon. Divide the mixture equally among the pastry cases.
- Put a star on top of the mincemeat, and brush with the egg.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- This recipe makes 6 muffin size mini pies including 6 stars on top.
- Recipe adapted from Mary Berry