This homemade vegan lemon curd is a smooth, thick cream, with a wonderful sweet and tart lemon flavour. This curd is made without coconut milk or any other non dairy milks, I like my vegan lemon curd simple and not too rich.
You only need a 5 ingredients, but one is crucial, you need to use fresh lemon for this recipe. Do not use the lemon juice from a bottle.
You can use the curd as a spread for scones, or as a filling for cupcakes, pies or drizzle over ice cream.
- 100g sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3½ tablespoons corn starch
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- Whisk sugar, water and cornstarch together until cornstarch is dissolved
- Pour into a small saucepan and whisk over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a full boil.
- Boil for 2 - 3 minutes, not stirring. It should be thickened and turning clear.
- Remove from heat and lemon juice, zest and margarine and blend well with the whisk.
- Cool the curd, then refrigerate in a covered container. It thickens as it cools.