This vegan fresh strawberry galette is a great summer dessert. Fresh, sweet and ripe strawberries on a super easy flaky delicious pie crust.
For the filling, toss the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a medium-sized bowl and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Place the strawberry mixture without any liquid in the centre of the flattened dough and gently fold up the crust over the strawberries in an overlapping fashion. Press the crust firmly onto the strawberries.
To keep the nice shape, I like to place the galette in the freezer for 20 – 30 minutes before baking.
- 160g all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold vegan butter, cut into pieces
- 2 - 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the dough by hand, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the texture resembles coarse crumble, with a few large butter pieces.
- Add the water and mix with a fork just until the dough pulls together.
- Form dough into a ¾" thick disk. Wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a medium sized bowl and let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle. Carefully move the rolled dough onto a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Place the strawberry mixture in the center of the flattened dough (without the liquid), leaving 1 inch on each side. Gently fold up the crust over part of the strawberries in an overlapping fashion.
- Freeze the pie for 20 - 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 400° F for 35 to 45 minutes until crust is golden brown and the filling starts to bubble.
- Let cool down completely and serve at room temperature.