Cinnamon Stars Zimtsterne are a classic German Christmas cookie, you will find them in most households in Germany & Switzerland as soon as December comes around. You only need 5 ingredients for these delicious gluten-free cookies.
I recommend covering your surface with granulated sugar as the dough is quite sticky. It can be a little tricky to get used to because it is definitely not a traditional cookie dough. I usually use a small spoon to spread the reserved meringue over the cookies. Use a toothpick to spread the icing into every corner.
- 2 egg whites
- 300g icing sugar
- 330g ground almonds
- 1¼ tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or kirsch
- Whip the egg whites in a large, clean bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until they hold soft peaks. Gradually add the icing sugar while whipping, until the whites are thick, creamy and stiff.
- Set aside about ½ cup of this merinque for topping the cookies later
- Mix the ground almonds and cinnamon before folding the mixture with the lemon juice to the remaining meringue to make a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough on some granulated sugar or between two parchment paper until it is about 1 cm (0.4 inch) thick. Cut cookie with a star cutter and place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Use a small spoon or brush to spread the reserved meringue overt the top of each cookies, taking care not to let the meringue drip over the sides.
- Dry the cookies at room temperature for about 4 - 5 hours
- Preheat oven to 430F (220C)
- Bake cookies for 4 - 5 minutes until bottoms are light golden brown and the meringue is set, but still white.
- I recommend using high quality cinnamon for this recipe.