Vegan Chocolate Orange Gingerbread Cookies with Vegan Royal Icing made from Aquafaba.
These vegan Chocolate Orange Gingerbread Cookies are the combination of all my favourite Christmas flavours – A soft delicious gingerbread cookie with a hint of orange and chocolate.
The dough is soft and easy to handle, perfect for beautiful gingerbread cut outs. If you would like to go the extra mile, try 3D Christmas trees – you can fit two cookies together by cutting carefully placed slots in the dough before baking. After baking carefully cut the edges of the slots again, so they will fit perfectly together.
And then decorate your beautiful cookies with a lot of vegan royal icing for the perfect winter wonderland.
- 60g canola oil
- 150g sugar
- 65g fancy molasses
- ¼ cup soy milk
- 1 Orange, zest only
- 230g all-purpose flour
- 20g cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice mix
- For the royal icing:
- 1¾ to 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba
- In a large bowl whisk together oil and sugar for about 3 minutes. Add molasses, soy milk and orange zest and mix well.
- Sift in all of the other dry ingredients, mixing about half way through. When all of the dry ingredients are added, mix until a stiff dough is formed.
- Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or up to 3 days in advance. If you chill longer than an hour you may want to let it sit for 10 minutes to warm up a bit before proceeding.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease your cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface or on a sheet of parchment paper roll the dough out to a little less than ¼ inch thick. Cut out your shapes with your cookie cutters and use a thin spatula to gently place on cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then move to a cooling rack. Wait until they are completely cool before icing. For the icing beat the chickpea brine with a hand mixer until fluffy, gradually add the icing sugar until you have a thick and glossy vegan royal icing.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I HOPE YOU LOVE IT.
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #littleswissbaker.