Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Cream is my new cupcake recipe for this week. A delicious cupcake with a rich chocolate flavour topped with a creamy coconut cream frosting. The combination of chocolate and coconut is so tasty.
The chocolate cupcakes with coconut cream recipe is simple, you just need a few basic ingredients and they can be done in about 2 hours (after your coconut milk is chilled overnight). I try to have at least one can in the fridge at all time.
- - Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract, peppermint extract, or additional vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- - Coconut Cream:
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk
- 6 teaspoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat till foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are okay).
- Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Chill your coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, chill a large mixing bowl 10 minutes before whipping.
- Remove the coconut milk from the fridge and remove the lid. Scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid behind (you could use it in a smoothie).
- Place hardened cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer until creamy.
- Then add vanilla and icing sugar and mix until creamy and smooth – taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
Cupcake recipe from chowhound